Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Joys of Motherhood

Alright, I know we all us mothers experience this, and sadly for some it is on a daily basis! Spencer knows how to throw a serious tantrum, I generally do not deal with them very well either. I had a thought a while ago to video him in the act for two reasons. First to have him be able to see what he looks like, and second to keep me from over reacting. It totally helped me a ton! I couldn't stop laughing when I was recording it, and I think it was because I was looking at it from a different perspective. Spencer on the other hand was not as pleased. His tantrum actually changed course when I turned the camera on. He was more upset about the camera than what he was initially freaking out about, BUT I still feel like captured the general idea. He DID NOT like looking at himself! I told him every time he behaved that way I was going to record it. He has been roses and raspberries ever since! Mission accomplished? Well, I am sure it is a work in progress, but needless to say I have found a way to help myself stay calm which is probably beneficial to both of us!

23 comments:

Mandy said...

derek was watching this with me and he goes "uh-oh" and looks at me like he knows spencers in trouble. derek can throw some pretty nast tantrums as well. i just walk away and ignore him until hes done and he gets so mad. it usually works and then i tell help him find a better way to express his emotions than screaming. he has been doing much better..i think next time i will try the video and see how he likes that! btw, i love your house (the little i could see) its decorated so cute! when we finally get a house you will have to come help me decorate ok...ok!

Bree :--) said...

Oh my gosh, that is too funny. I was cracking up! He probably would have gotten over his tantrum like two minutes faster, except he was soo worried about that video camera--AWESOME! I think I'll use that idea some year when I have a fiesty little thang. Hey, do you want me to bring something for Sunday? Dessert? I can't promise it will be great, but I'd love to help. Anyway, see you then!

Lyd said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Oh my freak! I was laughing the whole time. And thoughts of Michelle came into mind. She thinks that when he does this, it is funny as crap. She's gunna pee her pants when she sees this! I love the fact that when you say that you would throw his book away that he immediately put it down. That's awesome. I still think that my favorite tantum was when you put him out in his carseat in Vegas and shut the door and we could still hear him. And then Kev drove up on his bike and he knew what was gonin' down. Classic. Now people, don't freak out. We were still by the car the whole time and Kissy is prolly the best mother ever. She's freakin' awesome. Tell Spencer to have a Happy B-day!

Lyd said...

Oh and Mandy. Then I can help get you some sweet deals on furniture and such with my Interior Design license. It's pretty great!

Lyd said...

Michelle said, I remember that crap when I was at your house. She laughed the whole time made sounds like, Uhhhhhh with laughs in the middle.

Chelsea Nelson said...

HAHAHA! That was great! I will have to remember that when (in the far future) I have kids. And I too love how you said you would throw away his book and he immediately put it back!

Mandy said...

thanks lyd. when taylor and i get a house i will hire you and kjersten to come decorate my house and tell me what looks good. i dont know when it will be but it will be fun!!

Sarah said...

oh man...I am sooooo not looking forward to the tantrums. Keep me posted on how the video thing works out so I can at least have one coping strategy when it begins!

-KJ said...

That whole book thing was a miracle! Seriously. Normally he will throw most of his books at the door when I walk out. He has dents on his side of the door! It was amazing how fast the tantrum ended because he probably would have kept it going for 15 more minutes, but he heard me watching the video and stopped! It was great.

Lyd said...

Chels, I like how you almost said the same exact thing that I said.

liufamily said...

That was fab!!!!! Now all that you have to do is put him in a red and whit polka dot dress and tap shoes and you will have recreated Ryan all over again. Okay Ryan wasnt screaming like that, I think he liked it. For some odd reason that clip reminded me of Ryan.

Tara said...

Scott and I laughed so hard watching this video. Thanks for the idea...Caden can throw some nasty tantrums.

-KJ said...

It worked so great! I had the idea over a year ago but never tried it until now. It kept me cool as a cucumber, and he does NOT want to see himself like that again!
Mandy I loved Derek's comment! If I walk away from Spencer he goes even more balistic and chases me down. You are a patient lady!

Little E said...

I wonder what would happen if you just called up Santa Clause on the phone and held it up in the air so he could hear the tantrum himself. That might be a good December tactic.

-KJ said...

Did you ever see him when we told him we were going to call Santa? He totally freaks when we pretend to start dialing!

Alli Easley said...

I can't believe I'm the first person to mention little e and the tape recorder and he was tantruming and your mom was recording him and he kept saying "tone it off!!! tone it ooofff mooooommm!!!"

now THAT'S classic.

Ryan & Lauren Nelson said...

That is a total classic. I think I'm in the background in that tape coo-ing as I'm getting fed Gerber pears. But I still don't get it, I don't see a tantrum in this video...I do however see a young man carefully negotiating his bedtime schedule in a deliberate and well thought out discussion. He must be on the debate team in pre-school. Captain of that team no doubt.

-KJ said...

Too bad this retard was trying to negotiate getting out of his birthday party at Pump it Up. Smart kid.
This video totally reminds me of that tape. The tape is what gave me the idea to start recording him! The best part of the tape is Eric, Tay and I talking about how excited we are to go to Disneyland. Going so fast on the rides that we will "fluffy!"

Eliza said...

I've got the broken computer so I haven't been on in a while. I have to wait to use Curtis' work compute when he brings it home (if and when he comes home). ANYWAY...Alli and I told our kids that the lights on the smoke detector are cameras and santa watches them threw it. Works fantastically (until the kids told the neighborhood kids and I had to tell them the truth).

-KJ said...

Oh that is a sweet lie that I am going to steal! He will not know what to do with himself now that I have traumatized him with the video camera!

-KJ said...

I was wondering where you had gone eliza!

Alli Easley said...

hahah, yes we watched this video like 8 times as a family, and Harper was verrrry upset with the crying. He did not like it at all, he felt deeply for lil Spencer.

Oh and yes, I still tell the "smoke detector" lie.

Also! KJ, that "riding til we fluffy" thing made me about fluffy at work with laughter. Oh man, good stuff.

-KJ said...

If anyone knows a way to copy from a cassette tape to something that I could put on the computer LET ME KNOW! I have the tape at my house and I can put it on our blog! That thing is a classic!