Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I Got It From Norma

I am one who has truly been blessed with an amazing heritage. The women on all sides of our family are very strong. Strong personalities, strong opinions, strong sense of humor, strong testimonies. These are all traits that I feel I have inherited. There is one, however, that always seemed so mild and gentile. This was my Grandma Nelson. She was the kind of woman who was an ideal grandmother. She was soft spoken, reverent, and always very proper. She had an old timey bun that she always wore on the top of her head. I only once saw her hair down, and I remember it made me gasp when I saw that she had hair down to the middle of her back. She was the kid of woman who doted on her children. "Paul, dear," she would ask, "what would you like for breakfast?" Then proceed on to the next. "Clarence, darling, what would you like?" She had six children. That will never happen in my home. With cereal, maybe, but with a breakfast made from scratch? No way. She was a collector. A serious collector. The kind that Oprah or Clean House would love to have on their shows. Pathways from one room to the next and every room filled to capacity. Clutter gives me anxiety. I love to get rid of piles of "things." I think I developed this because of her. We share the love to shop, but she only influenced my need to clean from her obsession with "collecting". Although we differ here, there is a great pleasure I have from knowing she was so eccentric in this way. The stories I continue to hear about her always amaze me. She died when I was in the 6th grade, and I feel that was the time I was just starting to get to know and remember her. I wish I had more time to get to know her, and I know that one day I will.

There is a particular memory I have of her that always makes me laugh. She was staying with us while our parents were out of town, and she was naturally trying to accommodate her grand children in every way. I, however, was much too independent for that. I remember telling her I wanted a drink. She said she would get me a glass, but I refused, and told her I would get it myself. I remember her face as she turned around and saw me standing on the counter. I did it on purpose. I always knew she was a worrier, and it always made me laugh when I got a rise out of this mild mannered woman. "Oh darling! Please get down! That is so dangerous. Please let Grandma get it for you." By then I had gotten the needed cup and was safe on the ground. This is where the story turns. Now, Grandma is the one smiling down at me as she watches me worry over my own children. This is what I inherited from her. I am a worrier.
I never thought I would be this way just because I was the one who was tempting others to worry. Even my cousin Stacey has had good laughs at my expense over my worrying natrue. I find myself struggling with the little milestones my children make or soon hope to make. For example, Spencer was talking about learning how to ride his bike without training wheels, and all I could think about was him forgetting how to use his breaks and zooming down the driveway right into the street. My heart stops every time I think about it. He wants a skateboard too. I keep telling him they are too dangerous. Now I can't even consider it after hearing about TC Rogers. How do I do it?
Well, a couple days ago I let him go to the "swamp" by our house with a buddy and his big brother. It is a little stream with reeds. They had nets and were going to do who knows what, boy stuff I guess. I couldn't resist driving by to make sure everything was OK. Of course everything was fine, and I am sure this little outing made our little guy the happiest kid in the world. Still, I struggle.
I know that worrying comes along with having children. How do you let go? How do you let them grow up? I once bought a children's first aid book so I could be prepared if anything happened. I had to shut the book after the first few pages because I was nauseous. I don't know if I will ever get over it. Like I said, it is in my nature. Either way, it is something that connects me to this amazing woman.
"The Swamp"The young Norma. So beautiful.
We can't forget Oli! I wov hu!

26 comments:

Ashley O said...

How special this is!!! Norma gorgeous. You gorgeous. Oli posing....PRECIOUSNESS!!! I want one too!

Ashley O said...

Oh and I too am a worrier and I don't even have children yet. I am worried for their lives now and they are in heaven still walking with Jesus :) Crazy?

PS I can see you doing such things to make others worry haha.

Mandy said...

i am the same way!!! i worry so much at times i make myself sick. im such a aworried paranoid freak. :) i worry about things that are even years into the future...i have a post i have been meaning to post about this.
i love the picture of olivia...when did she grow into such a big girl? your kids are so stinkin cute! so sad we dont see each other often enough so our kids can become buds.

dupaix5 said...

I love this story... I to am a worrier, but I don't have to tell you that, you lived with me! I feel like I hold my kids back, because I worry so much. I have noticed when I do let go and let them do things like "going to the swamp" they are so much happier. I wish I didn't worry so much. I love the picture of Oli... She is beautiful!

Nichole said...

I don't ever let my kids out front without me. I think we are all worriers! When I was 8 I used to ride my bike to Circle K with a note to buy my mom cigarettes! Crazy! No wonder I got hit by a car at 9. There is a lot to be said about being over protective!
I love the story about your grandma. It is so great that you are writing them down.
I just heard about TC. He was dating Brandi's (from Cheyenne) sister. So sad!

Allison Easley said...

I am a total worry wart...and a pack rat, are we sure I'm not a Nelson?

liufamily said...

I'm sorry if I made comments to point out your likeness of grandma. But, alas... I worry too. I just love knowing that Im not the only one. I love your post. And I luv Oli, I want to squeeze her. She looks so big.

rach said...

Look how pretty holy cow! Your kids are so dang cute!

rach said...

Look how pretty holy cow! Your kids are so dang cute!

Lyd said...

I'm not sure that I worry. I'll have to see. I'm just too "what ev." We'll see. I'm sure that will change.

And why can't I click on your pics and see them bigger?!

Ashley O said...

Lydia...I'm starting to think that Blogger hates you. hahah jk! Oh and Alli dad is a pack rat. I mean come on!!! He couldn't get rid of the Tandy Sensation computer. OR even our last computer. No one wants a monitor that freakin' big. Yikes!!!

P.S. I totally loved that clarinet-wagon wheel lamp from Norma...when she left this world. Twas cool stuff!

-KJ said...

Stacey, no worries. I just remember your laughs. It's funny to me too.

Lydi, it's weird because whenever I post pictures, I can't make them bigger on my screen either. I never know if it works on others, or if it is just because it is my own page. I can always enlarge other peoples pages. Sorry. You know how dumb I am on the computer!

That Clare-anette (hahah) lamp was the coolest. There were about 783 more where that came from!

Ashley O said...

Oh no kidding!!! Amaaaahzink! and i like how you spelled it Clare-anett. that was clevah!

and I can't enlarge them either.

Anonymous said...

I am a "what ev" mom too. I think I worry my mother-in-law because of it.
Olivia is beautiful!

Audrey Taylor said...

KJ-
This is why I love reading your posts. I loved the mother's day post and this one, too. I had always thought you were beautiful and I enjoy reading about the women in your heritage. You and even they are such an example to me. Thanks for sharing!

Child Family said...

That Olivia picture is so fun! She is gorgeous!

Eliza said...

K, I am lovin me some of that Oli...her calves are so dang cute!

I think most mothers worry, you're not alone.

Oh and remember the panda bear - bear rug I got from Norma? Love it!

Bree :--) said...

I love this post! Plus, I'm obsessed with that picture of Oli...oh my favorite!! I've pulled it up and showed it to everyone. Ok, so obviously we didn't make it up there this week, but hopefully this next week...or sometime soon!

Sarah said...

I really wish I could have met Grandma Norma. She sounds wonderful!

sixmoores said...

I love both pictures you posted of your grandma. I think worry comes with parenting and most of us can't escape it with kids.

Anonymous said...

Aww, what a sweet little grandma!!! She was so beautiful!!! And your little Oli is a STUNNER!!!!

k8shoe said...

Olivia looks so cute in that picture! Hey, my smart blogger friend, how do you get your music player to be skinny like that but show the scroller thing on the side still? Does that question make sense?

-KJ said...

Oh yes. It made sense. I had to ask the same question to my smart blogging cousin who had to do it for me! Hahaha! I can give you her email address if you want it.

aubrey. said...

grandma is seriously gorgeous! but so are you! i guess it all makes sense that your her granddaughter and all!
this was so cute! and so is your little girl! sheesh!

Jillian said...

oh my word Olivia is so beautiful! I love her little outfit and that cute pose!! Avery will never smile for the camera, so I'm jealous of that cute smile..

Matt and Amanda said...

Kj,
No need to send help! Unless you could help chase my tazmanian devil of a baby!! Good thing she is so stinkn' cute!