Friday, March 28, 2008

Unproductive, Useless, Thirsty...

I can just hear my husband letting out a quiet chuckle as he reads this. What does this title mean, you ask? I just spent the last three days reading the Twilight series. Understood? I have had Twilight for months, but put it off because of the craze. You know what I mean. Somehow I just couldn't read it while everyone was so obsessed. Now I know why they were! My children were forced to watch 726 hours of TV, Kevin had no ironed shirts, and my neck and back paid the price as well! On day two, I had to wake up early and get the house in order so I didn't feel guilty about what I was doing. Good thing right, since I haven't done something like this in 8 1/2 years of marriage. Lucky for Kev I never read the Harry Potter series!
I started of just thinking I would do some casual reading and finish the book in a week or so. Um, no. I finished that day, well actually at 4 am the next day if you want to be technical. I had my domestic duties to still fulfill, you know! My thoughts then told me to just get them over with so I could be useful again. I hunted down the next two books and finished them up. I even had to go to Stephanie Meyer's website to see if she had the first chapter of her next book. I was very disappointed to see that wasn't the case. I did, however, find the first chapter of Midnight Sun. Ooooooh! I really hope she writes that one!
I have always been drawn to the darker side, and it was nice being able to find something that was still so clean. My imagination is vivid enough. Speaking of imaginations, I found that I was at first a little disappointed that I knew who was cast for the movie because that is who I imagined in the book. By the end I was happy I already knew because I think I would have been disappointed with what I envisioned. I am completely satisfied with the casting of Bella and Edward now. I think if I hadn't know who they were and conjured up my own characters, I may have been disappointed. I read somewhere that Stephanie was wanting Henry Caville, but then she thought he was too old. Oh my word. I wouldn't have been disappointed if they chose him. Mmmm.
I am also torn between Edward and Jacob! How do you choose? I am inclined towards Edward because he was the first. Her first true love, but Jacob! He is so nice, and he will keep her mortal. Bleh. Too many good men to choose from! I will just wait for Breaking Dawn before I get myself too worked up. I wish Eclipse had the first chapter of Breaking Dawn in it. Maybe that would just drive me crazy.

39 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no.....Not another one who has fallen to Twilight. You are funny. Everyone has been harassing me to read this, but i refuse! Ha!! It is too much of a craze! There is the rebel in me. Always want to do what everyone else is not! Ha! Maybe one day i will give in like you!!

Thanks for your sweet comments! We still need to get together for lunch sometime!!

Ashley O said...

craze or not it is a good one. I didn't start reading the Harry Potter series until she had 4 books out and the first movie. I skipped that craze but this is one I'm glad you got on !!! yay

welcome to the dark side kj. I need to start Eclipse over, then start with Twilight again. I'm excited!!!!!! and I totally agree with you about the knowing the cast beforehand. :)

-KJ said...

Jess, I was JUST like you. I gave in because I wanted to read it before the movie. Just do it. It is a great read.

Ash, I told Kenzie we need to do a girls night out to go see this movie. Good idea, right?!!

Lyd said...

Man, yeah, I guess it's good that you knew the cast first because I was very disappointed. But they did the best they could, but I think that Henry Caville would have been a better Edward. Boo Hiss. I need to finish these when I get back. Too busy up here at school. :)

Lyd said...

I'm even in the library as I write this!! What?!

Allison Easley said...

at least it isn't Zelda...

...I'm just sayin'...

Tiffany said...

DANG! Am I the ONLY one who hasn't read it? CRAP! I just can't take the time to read it. Is that great? What the hec do I do?

Nicole said...

Jacob must die!

Nichole said...

I have been hearing all about these books being the hottest thing that has ever happened to LDS girls/woman. I am such a reader that I will have to try them out too. I will as soon as I tire Henry VIII and all of his wives.

Anonymous said...

Do not insult Harry and Hogwarts. Nichole, I could not get through the Henry and his Honeys' book. Is it worth it?
And thank you for peaking my interest in these books once again. I THINK I had a thing for Edward, but I must read them again with a normal non-pregnancy brain. Yea for books.

mckell said...

you know the first chapter of midnight sun (twilight told from edward's point of view) is online right??? it is awesome! look it up and read it! better yet here is a link http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/otherprojects_midnightsun.html or just the url. go for it its not that long, and leaves you hanging like everything else in the series. and we all love it that way.

ps. i was also a twilight hater in the begining. curse that tiffany smith woman! lol jk i love her

-KJ said...

McKell! Hooray!
YES, I did read Midnight Sun. Didn't you read my whole post? I loved it. I will be seriously disappointed if she doesn't write it. I am just hoping she doesn't stop with just one!

-KJ said...

Oh yea, and Tiff, I thought I didn't have the time either. Obviously I made time, but you could totally just read a few chapters a night. It was fun to take a break and read. I really don't read enough. I finally decided to do it because I felt like my brain was in a state of atrophy! I know kids can do it to you, but I felt far beyond that. I knew I USED to be smart. Oh well, the good ol' days.

Tara said...

Ok KJ...I think you have trapped me and made me decide to read this series. I LOVE to read but Cameron hates it because I am out of commission until I finish the book I'm into. I will just blame you for getting me started ok. =>

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE those friggin books! I can't wait for the fourth. Oh and for the record...Edward is way better than Jacob. lol

-KJ said...

You know, I am beginning to agree. As great as Jacob is, I just prefer Edward!!! I am too stuck on him.

Dani said...

And this is why I haven't started reading these books - I would have to do a post identical to yours, except I'd be running Corben to and from school. :) Someday I suppose....

Eliza said...

Edward is way too bleh for me. All his one liners make me vomit in my mouth. AND I think I prefer warmth.

Nichole said...

Stacey- I am not sure if you will like "Henry and his honeys'" but I could not put the book down. In fact, I have read three more on the same topic since. I am a history lovin' dork though...
Kj- is reading about vampires really beneficial to the brain and atrophy?
I read so many nonsense books, but love every word!

-KJ said...

E-LIZA! Can you really tell me that is how you felt about Edward BEFORE Jacob came along? I don't dispute that he is mushy, but I thought she wrote it well enough that you know he meant what he said. Jacob is full of it too. They BOTH are.
I would have probably said the same about Jacob and wanting her to choose him, but I think I was too endeared to Edward first, for too long.
How do you know you prefer warmth? Have you ever dated a vampire before? ;) Hahaha! I agree with you on that one.

Allison Easley said...

I'm halfway through Twilight and for some reason, I am not obsessed with it. And I'm the "reader" in the family. What's wrong with me? It's just not that captivating that I get obsessed...

...I'm an anomaly.

Mel said...

I don't have time to go to the bathroom, let alone read a book. Do they have cliff notes? :)

shauna said...

I am reading the most fascinating and suspenseful book. You guys will have to get to it some day. It contains intrigue, fright, great character development and doesn't always have good endings, but I learn from all the endings good or not.

It is called the Old Testament. I will be reading the sequel next...it is called the Book of Mormon.

Ha Ha lol lol...Just kidding in all of that. Honestly

Queen Zelda

-KJ said...

I would agree with you if you if you said the Book of Mormon. That book has is pretty intense, especially towards the end! As for the Old Testament, I had Sis. Zemp. Nuff said.

Alli, I wasn't totally into it until the very end of Twilight. Also, it has been SO long since I have read anything that ANYTHING would have been captivating. I have to say that by the second book I was really enjoying it.

Ashley O said...

I enjoy the book because I kind of want to be in a relationship where there is warmth and intelligent conversations and a bit of romance and kindness and all that jazz.... yeah. So I seek that in the books. (but i have that now and some) Plus I LOVE DARK STUFF LIKE VAMPIRES AND SUCH!!! We are great ppl

I had your mother for the first part of the OT and then I moved to Centennial. I loved how someone in our class didn't see the relationship between Joseph of Egypt and Christ. Your mom's face was priceless. I think I turned around and said "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" She's nuts.

-KJ said...

Was that persons name Katrina Norda? Hee hee. Kidding.

mckell said...

oh man no... obviously i am an idiot lol. how are things? school is good. i hear you live by lexi's boyfriend... wow that was awkward to say, was it as bad to hear? LEXI'S BOYFRIEND!!! crazy.

Eliza said...

KJ... SERIOUSLY... I hate mush and I liked him because of the vampire stuff but I shiver when he talks.

Alli... I guess you can't be in our Junior High Level book club.

Alli Easley said...

Ok, so I laughed so hard at mom's comment!

Also, Liza, way to make me feel so left out!

Jillian said...

ha ha, you finally gave in! it's about time! I can't WAIT until the new book comes out!!!

K. H. said...

that is me everytime the latest season of Lost comes out on DVD.

MUST. HAVE. MARATHON.

k8shoe said...

Edward all the way. Jacob's boring and way too possesive.

-KJ said...

Speaking of possessive, all us ladies are either too possessive of Edward or Jacob!

McKell, I didn't know they were boyfriend and girlfriend!!! How funny is that. Man, that makes me suddenly feel a lot older. Things are good here. Same as usual. Busy kids, confused mom!

Theresa Rodriguez said...

Now that you have completed all three I have a theory about the fourth book. I think that edward is going to save bella from the Voltri so she wont have to turn and in him saving her he will give up his life..then she will end up with jacob and name her first child after edward. I hate my theory. It pisses me off. I want her with edward. I also think youre completely right about the casting and knowing who they were before hand because i am utterly annoyed and angry at who she cast for edward. He is sooo not what i pictured. So consider yourself lucky. I will not boycott the movie but i will just have to invision my own edward while watching it.

Michael Moore said...

Kjersten & Kevin, I would like to invite you to our blog but we don't have your e-mail. You can e-mail me at MichaelReidMoore@gmail.com. Sorry we hadn't done this before, I am just so lame I never thought of it. Thanks.

K said...

That's hilarious! It's nearly an epidemic. I've sadly fallen to the bite of Twilight and it is seriously spreading like wildfire. I haven't found a soul who doesn't like 'em. =)Cute blog...I just glanced through, but it's cute.

Lisa said...

I waited to read the books because of the craze until my sister in law gave me hers and said "READ". I got just as hooked as anyone and even read them twice in my pregnant but no kids state!! Gotta love it!

Tabatha & Michael Stimpson said...

kj- i dont' know if you remember me or not but i remember you, but anyways...i love this topic!! I believe every week I read all 3! I have alot of down time at work and so I turn to these books..I know insane! I do have some info to help you and other twi-hards out there...the site twilightmoms.com. These women are nutso's! But you got to love 'em. There's tons of info and I suggest going to "forums" and scrolling all the way down to "things that bedazzle us" and click on "fanfics by amy16". She did her own story of how she thinks bellas wedding and change will be. I wasn't disappointed and i don't think anybody else would either. also there are TONS of pics and stories about the filming which happends to be where i am, in portland! I am in nooo way disappointed in who they picked for edward ( i believe im an edward fan!) jacob is a lil annoying for me. and ya edward was a little sappy, but only the first time reading...i just had to imagine him saying those things in a "sulty & seductive" kind of way...it helps me get thru his "sappy, granny" moments. hope all you ladies love the site...I DO!! it also helps me "patiently wait" till the movie comes out! :) Beautiful family by the way!!

Tabatha & Michael Stimpson said...

OK...i sooo can not believe you remember me!! lol I thought for sure you would be like "who the heck is that?"! but ya, its tabatha blood :) and thanks for the hair comment! one of these days i will be putting up some pics, i have them on my myspace acct...i just havent made the time to do it here, i barely make the time for this blog thing...notice i havent put any of my friends blogs on here. one of these day ;) and yes i am freaking out for the movie too...btw, check out etonline.com they have a behind the scenes when edward is fighting james..it will blow you away, especially when they fly across the wooden floors and the floor comes apart...AWESOME...ALSO, mtv has some interviews too! book #4 & december can not come soon enough!! talk to u soon!!