Olivia went poo poo in the potty!!! As far as I am concerned, this is the most difficult part of potty training. We actually aren't even in the process of potty training right now, but on Wedenesday, I saw Olivia contemplating the deed (if you know what I'm sayin'), so I told her she could have a piece of candy if she went on the potty. She is a private person when she is doing her bidness, so I just told he I would close the door to the potty and finish my makeup. Before I knew it, she said, "Oh no Mommy, look!" She thought she was going to get in trouble, but when she saw how excited I was she beamed with pride. She waved bye bye to it as it flushed away and promptly asked for her candy. I love that she is totally motivated by sugar! We have yet to do it again, but she is not a fan of her diaper anymore, so I better get to work. Now, I have to say SUCKERS to all of you who were expecting different news! Hahaha!
Our next funny little story happened Saturday. We decided to meet a couple of friends at Union Station to see the train exhibit. What a flop! Never again I say. I don't know what we were expecting, but we got weird old men trying to sell model train parts. Bleh! I guess when the weather is nice (because it decided to snow again) they allow everyone to explore old trains outside, but they had that part closed for the day. Anywho, after we left we decided to make it up to the kiddies and take them to Micky D's for some greasy food and a grimy playland. Notice, I didn't say make it up to ourselves. We would have been headed to The Bistro on 25th if I had my way. Back to the story, the playland is a somewhat new experience to Olivia. She loved climbing and sliding, but the best part was when she discovered the cubbies for shoes. She came back with a pretty sparkley pair a couple sizes too big, but they were so pretty. She wasn't too happy when we put them back, but she knew there were more! A couple minutes later she walked over wearing a super hot pair of pink and cream cowgirl boots. Convincing her that these weren't hers wasn't so easy this time. She screamed and cried and stomped away. About five minutes later we were cleaning up to go, and I was off to help Spencer with something when a man came up to me. He said, "Are these your daughter's shoes?" I looked down to see him holding my newest, most favorite Target shoe purchase for Olivia. Her white shoes with black hearts, hot pink trim and a black bow. So cute. I looked at him and replied with the affirmative. He then said with a smile, "She was just trying to throw them in the trash." The little turd! She thought she was going to get a brand new pair of shoes at McDonalds. The Happy Meal prizes aren't that good, sweetheart! I laughed so hard. This girl is too funny and she keeps us on our toes! Oh yea, check out this other sweet Saturday happening. Spencer gave himself a sweet Mexi hickey with one of those tiny medicine cups that comes with Dimatapp. LOVE IT!
OH, but the adventures continue on! Sunday was our little Olivia's second birthday!!! We were going to my parents for a birthday dinner for the girls (Ryan's Lauren has a birthday on the 3rd), but we had church first. I decided to venture to church alone because I had to teach the lesson in our class, and Kevin was going to stay home with Olivia because she had a little cough. About an hour before I left, Spencer told me his head hurt so I felt his head. He was a little warm, so I told him to lay down. He was asleep in five minutes. I left, but then came home right after sacrament and the class. I asked Kev if we should take Spencer to my parents, and he said he seemed to be fine, so off we went. We had a great time and ate yummy chicken cressants. Mmm. After dinner we had cake and presents. Olivia got all clothes besides the little princess trike we bought. I LOVED that she was so into her clothes. She couldn't stop smiling at every new outfit. She is such a girl! I can't believe how fast these two years have gone. She is so much fun to be around and to watch. She is a complete tornado, but is my big helper as well. We love her so much!!!
Well, from there I must digress. We got home a little late, but were prompt on getting Spence and Oli in bed. We were all pretty tired so we zonked really fast. Around 2:00 am Spencer came in our room to use the bathroom. I didn't think much of it because it does it often. It is beyond me why he thinks it is easier to climb a flight of stairs rather than use the bathroom right next to his room, but this is beside the point. He flushed, washed, and was back to bed. I woke up around 4:00 am to hear him whimpering up the stairs, so I got up and met him in the hallway. He told me he had a bad dream. I decided to feel his head because of his fever earlier in the day, and he was burning up! I am so glad he had the earlier fever because if he has a bad dream we normally tell him to say a prayer or sing a primary song and go right back to bed. I took him into the family room, gave him a dose of Tylenol, and grabbed the thermometer. He was 103.8! He has never had a fever so high. It made me nervous, so I decided to get some cool wash rags on him. I put them on his forehead and chest. I changed them out about 3 times and took his temperature again (about 15/20 minutes later). It was still the same. I wasn't sure if I should give him a cool bath or just wait a little bit. I thought that no matter what he'd better sleep in our room. I moved my pillow and blanket to the chair in our room, and got another blanket for Spence. I went back out to get him and told him what we were going to do. A moment later he jolted sharply and his eyes got really big. It happened in a second, but it scared me so bad. It must have freaked him out too because he asked me what happened. I was almost in tears but then he said Olivia's name. I looked to the hallway, but she wasn't there. I thought he was hallucinating, so I asked him why he said her name. He told me he thought he heard her in her room. I sighed with relief, but in that instant he jolted again. This time his whole body got stiff, his eyes rolled over and he stared at the ceiling with dilated pupils. His arms were out to his side and completely stiff. His lips were also purple. I started calling for Kevin. He ran out and dialed 911. They told us to roll him on his left side, and they just talked to Kevin for a minute. The whole seizure lasted for about 45 seconds. As soon as it was over, he was completely asleep. The paramedics were on there way. They got there within a few minutes. They took his jammies off, took his temperature, and took a blood sugar test. Spencer was completely clueless to the fact he had just had a seizure, but he knew he didn't like his finger getting poked! They told us to take him to the ER, and they would call them so they would know we were on our way. I scooped up Olivia, grabbed a few things, and we were out the door.
Kevin's parents live right by the hospital, so we dropped Oli off. Once there, we were welcomed to an empty ER (the benefits of early morning emergencies, I guess). After a temperature reading, we were taken to a bed. They gave him some Motrin and informed us he would need a few tests taken. The first of the battery was a mucus sample. For once in his life it was unfortunate he didn't have any, so the nurse blasted a small dose of saline up his nose and sucked it right back out. TRAUMA IN THE ER people! And I thought a seizure was bad. Poor kid, he had no idea that a blood sample was just around the corner. He didn't fair that one very well either, but after that was over he was pretty worn out. He crashed for about 20 minutes, and then he had to go in for a chest x-ray. He got a sucker and four stickers, so that wasn't so bad. He thought it was all over until he realized he had to give a urine sample. He wasn't happy about peeing in a cup, but he filled his quota and even stopped mid stream and finished in the toilet so as to not get me wet. I knew that skill would come in handy someday. Well, that was truly the end of the test. He just had one more temperature reading, which was thankfully normal, a diagnosis of the flu, and a dose of flu medicine. Sadly, when we got home he puked in the hallway. Can I tell you how grateful I am for wood floors! Kev even offered to clean it up!!! I took him into the bathroom to finish the job, and after he finished, he looked at me with the saddest eyes and said, "Mom, I am not having a good day." SO SAD!
I am happy to report he is feeling better although he isn't better. It should be gone within 24 hours. Lets just hope the rest of us don't get it!
P.S. Did any of you catch SNL this weekend? I LOVE Kristin Wigg. She was the best in the Other Bolyn Sister skit!

32 comments:
I was so sad when you told me this over the phone, but now that I read it, I'M SICK!!! I literally had to lay down a couple times because I started seeing stars and getting light headed and sickie! SO SAD!!! Poor Spencer do! I love him. Give him a hug for me! Uhhhh. SO SAD!! He's such a tough kid. I LOVE HIM so much!!!
And I love that little Olli too. She's the biggest kick! I wish I could have seen her fall in love with those clothes! haha
I hope he is feeling better and you are handling things alright. From what I hear seizures are pretty common in little kids when they have a spike in body temperature. It doesn't make them less scary, but at least it is just a flu and nothing worse! Take care.
What a weekend! And yes I am one of those SUCKERS, you had me when you said you had some BIG NEWS. Way to go Oliva! That is awful about Spencer, I'm sure you guys were dying when it was all happening, I know I would be. I am glad he is doing better, and I hope the rest of you stay healthy.
Tara, even when I first took his temperature the thought of a seizure crossed my mind. Weird. You are right. Everyone kept telling us it was common. I think they were afraid we were going to think he was going to have epilepsy or something.
He is doing tons better. He is happy as punch and that = a happy mom!
wow! What a weekend! I am glad he is doing better. Can I just say that Kevin is awesome for cleaning up puke! I also love the story about Olivia and her shoes. Your kids sound so awesome....just like their mom! I hope this weekend is less exciting and you can catch up on some sleep.
poor little guy! so scary having to watch your little guy have a seizure. im glad it is only the flu and i hope he has a speedy recovery. hopefully no one else gets it!
i love spencers mexi hickey and olivias shoe fetish. your kids crack me up.
and horray for pooping on the potty!
k... I laughed my face off at the hickey.
HOLY EVERYTHING!!! After reading that I will be watching Miles and his temp all night long. He has a green oozing nose, a cough and a fever. Please no seizure.
I hope Spence gets better fast. It's amazing how resilient kids are.
Olivia sounds like her mom!
Kj- glad to hear it was only the flu. I hope he gets better soon. The mexi-hicky is hilarious!
D-R-A-M-A! Dang! Spencer's picture is so funny. Sad, sad day about Spencer...plus scary! We have a kid in our preschool here that has serious epilepsy, and one day in class he had 25 seizures in an hour!! But, I was in there for them, and I've been in there a lot when he's had drop seizures, but that sure doesn't make it any easier! Every time he has one it freaks me out and I just want to cry. I can't imagine if it were my own child!!
Ok, you need to get some sleep! Want me to come up and watch the kiddos so you can do whatever you want?!? Saturday?? Seriously!
oh my word, sounds like you had an adventurous weekend! I'm so sorry about spencer, I'm pretty sure that would scare me to death! I hope he gets better soon!! And Oli is such a doll!! Happy 2nd birthday Olivia! Good luck with the potty training, let me know how it goes, I'm SO not looking forward to it..
Looks like the death flu that hit us has made its way up to Utah. I think you just wrote out last month's experience here at our house with every person in my home...in detail...identically...except Spencer's name was inserted. This flu is a killer, seriously. I'm so sad he has it! It's horrible, and terribly contagious. Jonah came home from Science camp on Feb. 8th with a fever of 104.4...and he'd had it for 2 days and they didn't bring him back to town! I was furious. Just watch everyone else, it starts with aches and a headache. I'm sorry! I wish I were closer to help you out. Love you guys!
It really is a killer! One of my roommate's friend's mom died in her sleep while she had the flu about 2 weeks ago!! They did an autopsy and they didn't find anything really wrong, so they concluded that it was because of the flu! Isn't that crazy how different the severities can be?!
Oh, and cute blog by the way. :)
Freakin A! I am so tired of sick kids!!!!AHHHHHHHH! I am so sorry about Spence! I feel so bad but so happy he's doing okay! I am so about to take my kids tanning to cook out the sickness!
Yipee!!for Oli!!! What a cutie! Happy Birthday to her!
Man what a story...it wore me out and scared me to death about fevers!
Things seem to be calming down around here. Thank heavens!!! Spence is pretty much in the clear. We are just laying low for a little bit.
Lydi, that is crazy!!! I guess there are people that die of that every year, but you just forget it can happen. That is so sad.
Alli, poor Jonah! That is even scarier than Spence. Those temps scare me because I am afraid they will get brain damage! Spencer would be jealous of Science camp. All he talks about lately is "doing science."
Those high fever seizures are so scary! I am sorry that you guys had to go through all of that.
Sounds like Spencer spends a lot of time in the ER!
Yeah! for Olivia! Sage will be three in May and still is not potty trained. She pooped once in the toilet last summer, on accident, never to do it again. I hate potty training!
Happy Birthday Olivia!
KJ, it is REALLY common for little kids to have seizures when they get a quick spike in their temp. My nephew had that happen about a year ago and he actually stopped breathing for almost a minute. It was so scary. I am so glad Spencer is doing better.
I have a long time before Breyden is potty trained but I think I dream about it at night. I don't know why, since I am going to have another little butt to wipe soon. What's the difference: 1 butt or 2?
about 2 cheeks.
Ba dum ching!
It is amazing how gross big poo becomes when a brand new baby arrives!
Hey, Jessi had a seizure from a fever when she was about two. I was told that once they have one that it is more likely for them to have more. So every time Jess gets sick I kinda freak!! Rotate tylenol and motrin every three hours. I didn't know you could do that until after the event. You know I always am stocked with both now. So sorry you had to go through that. Its so scary. Im glad hed is feeling better. And good luck with the potty training, I hope that Oli is easier than my girls! How were the crispies?
The flu has been so bad this year...it makes me nervous with a little one. I hope it just gets warm soon!!
That is crayzay!! So glad Spencer is better - and that his hicky has probably faded away - that was awesome :) Good luck with the potty and Olivia - I am in noooo hurry. I can't stand poopy undies - they just get thrown away. When it's time, it will happen that's what I say. :)
and it changes again.... very cute!
I was gunna say somethin about Jess. I swear, that is SO sad! I hope that I never have to go through that! SAD DAY!
And I like your blog once more! Where did you find that paper!?
I can't remember where I found this paper. I like a site called peas in a bucket. They have a ton. I am still not loving this background. A little more springy than the last one though.
hey lyd... if you right click on her background and click view background image it will show you where she got it.
Ooo, I found that too - I stole a background from pyzam .... ha hahahaha it was da baste. It was a background heist ;)
Ooooo!! I like that idea! :)
I just barely read this...Kjersten! Oh my scary! I'm glad everything is ok now but I'd be freaking out! Love the Sars mask pic :) and the Mexi picture too. Funny (and sad)!
Oh my! First I am laughing my head off over spencer's mexi stash and then bawling my eyes out! I just felt so awful for the way you must of felt when your poor baby was so sick. Poor baby Caire is pooping the most stinky large load sittin on my lap right now and all I can do is try to ignore the smell to finish this heart renching story. I'm SO glad things are going to be OK. I guess being a mother now makes me feel for all other moms when they worrie about their kids health (i'm trying to explain my tears). I was a nervous reck bawling just over thrush. I would probably pass out if Claire had a siezure. So Sad!
I'm now sick to my stomach. The end.
If you don't blog soon, I'm going to slit your throat.
Post a Comment