Thursday, January 17, 2008

House Arrest & Co-Pays

I am sure we are all dealing with our fair share of winter ailments. Mine is winter itself. I have officially been suffering from it since December 26th. I keep waiting for that "January thaw" that is supposed to happen, but I have lost faith. In search of a cure, I will be heading south to St. George. If 80 pound 80 year olds find reprieve there than so can I. At least for a couple of days. Unfortunately for my little guy, that is another story. He has been suffering from a good old cough and intermittent fevers.
He has been battling this since last Thursday, and in our house that is a long time. We are used to 24 hour flu's and relatively short stints of runny noses. This has been a particularly hard week because he has missed out on a show and tell, primary activity, birthday party, play dates, church, and school. He is was on house arrest.
Poor kid. Little did he know that I debated on borrowing a surgical mask from my father in law, so I could haul him around, but I feared people would think he had Saars disease. With that option out of the question, it meant that Olivia and I were his cell mates. The week actually fared well enough, but then he started asking, "Mom, can we do something fun today?" I actually almost gave in at times to let him go somewhere because he seemed well, but at the last minute I would reconsider, and it always seemed to be for the best. We had never dealt with such a virus. The fever decided to come and go every other day, and the cough even changed through out the week.
Finally, last night I caved and decided we better figure out if this was really something. After all, I didn't want to leave Kevin with an infected child if something could be done about it. At 8:15pm we drove to a doctors appointment only to find out that he was 42 lbs. with a perfect temperature, blood pressure, oxygen intake, and clear ears, nose, and throat. Twenty dollars well spent. Pssht. The only thing positive was that the doctor said he seemed well enough to go back to school. I had already decided to keep him home one more day, just to make sure, but was trilled to be able to tell him playgroup was a go for Thursday.
Well, the next morning, all was well (besides the plumbers fixing a leak from the ceiling of the downstairs guest bedroom from our upstairs master tub) for a few hours. Suddenly, he began shrieking in pain and demanded I clean the wax out of his ears. I was taken back and wondering what all his fuss was about. I began to fear that something had crawled in his ear last night and was making a nice home in there. Later, I blamed that on watching too many episodes of House. He begged for another doctors visit. I refused. I had just paid 20 bucks the night before to have his ears checked out. Instead, I changed the subject and offered lunch. Fish sticks and pears seemed to do the trick, or so I thought.
Two hours later he wanted to go again. The idea of naps was slowly beginning to slip through my fingers, but I realized I better be thankful I have a child that can communicate with me his pains in detail. We threw on our shoes and piled in the car. Remarkably there was no wait in the Quick Care (because there was no way I was driving all the way back to his doctors), and $20 later we were getting weighed, squeezed, gagged, and probed. After all the froo froo was over we saw the doc. He asked a few questions, checked the ear, and low and behold...an ear infection! How can it possibly be that not even 24 hours later he developed this? Well, now I know. If you have a cold that lasts about a week, an ear infection can very possibly follow in children.
I was happy I listened. He was happy I listened, and Olivia, well, she got two suckers. After all that was over, I rewarded them with a sprinkle doughnut and Spencer even got his own special bottles of Amoxycillen! Even better, they BOTH took a little nap when we got home.
Hopefully now everyone can have a fun happy weekend...especially ME! Thanks Kevin! You are the best!

23 comments:

Tara said...

I am glad he is finally on some medication. Hopefully that clears it up for good and you all can get the heck out of your house. Just in time for some weekend fun...

Nicole said...

Doctor's appointments always come in twos! I even dread the well-check ups because I know it means I'll be back within a week! I'm glad Spencer is feeling better. Grant's excited for Olivia to come over tomorrow.

Theresa Rodriguez said...

KJ can i tell you how much i enjoy reading your posts. You have such a whitty humor it makes them so entertaining. I am glad to hear everything is okay with your boy. Val informed me how much she hates snow too...she said she cant wait for her slaves to get old enough to shovel the snow lol. Hope you guys have a good weekend. take care

Tara said...

KJ, I feel your pain. Breyden is always getting sick. (he has asthma) His colds almost always last a week or more and so I am constantly going insane being stuck at home. It will be nice when he can tell me what is hurting. I'm glad Spender is getting better. Hang in there.

Tiffany said...

I HATE sickness! It's the worst when kids get it! Plus,it seems mine kids get it one day and gone the next? I never know what to do? I take them in and the doctor says all is fine it's just a little cough. UGH! I am glad Spencer will be feeling better. I love when the problem gets fixed and you can breathe and relax! Have fun! I am not going to Vegas....too sick. I feel so bad I really wanted to go but I am not risking getting any worse.There is still a good chance I might need surgery so I decided to play it safe. Have fun for me!

Lyd said...

That sucks!! Um I guess for everything. Spencer being sick and you going to a warm place while I am in 1 digit weather!! :) Hope he gets better soon!

Alli Easley said...

Um, fill everyone in on the fact that today Oli woke up with a fever. Yep. SWEET!

-KJ said...

Hopefully she doesn't get croup while I am gone!!! Spencer is happy as a lark though! She is too, between fevers.
See ya suckers! I am off to St. George!

THE BECKSTRAND FAMILY said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I wish I was there to party with ya. Hmmm, actually, I wish YOU were HERE! Any fun plans???

Nichole said...

That sucks! I hope he feels better, you and Olivia deserve a day out. We have been lucky this year, not to much sickness. Just the constant dealings with my daughter and her bowel issues. It always has to be something with kids!

Tiffany said...

Check out my blog in honor of KISSY'S birthday!!!!!!

Taylor said...

Ppppphhh Phhhh Phh Phh Pjhhhhh. That means happy birthday kissy in my extreme nasal voice.

Ashley O said...

CHAPPY BERFDAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Ashley O said...

and p.s. i can hear tay saying that to you in his nasal voice

Eliza said...

Happy day! I too hear you tay....so lovely

k8shoe said...

I tried to post a comment earlier and it wouldn't let me but HAPPY BIRTHDAY and I hope it's warmer where are you!

Lyd said...

Happy B-day once again!!! Yay for being in warmer weather!

Mandy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! have fun in st george....LUCKY!

Dani said...

Oohh those dang copays! ;) How was your birthday weekend? HAPPY BDAY by the way -- since I am slow to wish it, it makes it last longer for you :)

Ryan & Lauren Nelson said...

I already said happy birthday over the phone so I just wanted you to know that I blog again! Hahaha. And I wrote this little message on my Itouch... Sweet huh?!

Matt and Amanda said...

Happy late birthday! How is everyone feeling? I hope better! It is so fun to hear about your cute family!

-KJ said...

Tank ya brudda deah and Mrs. Amanda!

Taylor said...

Itouch my bum. Wait that didn't come out right.